Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Part II - In Riverside Now

The Biblical scholar that I visited is a dynamic and dedicated person who has devoted his life to seeking the true understanding of the Bible.  Francis and his wife, Vivian, graciously put me up for the night and allowed me to sit in on their early morning study group.  It blew me away how deep and intent his answers were to my questions.

I also spent some time with one of the scholar's advanced students.  There was a passionate attempt to convince me that I should give up the pilgrimage.  His argument was that I'll only find the truth there (with them) and that Satan wants me to go so he can lead me astray. I reminded myself not to allow fear-based motivation to guide my decisions in how to respond.


There is certainly a wealth of knowledge in this circle but the understanding comes from a totally different paradigm. This was a study for me in understanding of my own sources of avidya (avidya = the event and cause of negative actions... ego, craving, aversion, fear/fear of dying).  Which of these are being triggered and how can I grow in this experience?


Left the place at around 1:00pmish, maybe even later.  Ditched a couple of things along the way and caught a ride to the on-ramp from a really nice and aptly named guy, Billy Bob.  He offered good advice on where to catch the ride and where to get water.  

I sat down for hours in easy pose at the freeway entrance with my heavy boots on.  It wasn't so bad.  Around sunset another charitable Christian pulled up.  David and I had some good conversation and he graciously dropped me off right at Matt and Lauren's complex just as Matt was getting home from work.

Ate a tasty meal and enjoyed some mellow conversation.


There is a new flow moving and it's very relaxed and natural, very peaceful. Chillin' in Riverside, feeling the hippie vibe.

5 comments:

  1. It becomes more apparent each day, of the divine watchcare and the operation of the Infinite Coordinator guiding Starlyn's pilgrimmage, doesn't it?

    Our sweet pilgrim is proving to us (and we can learn the same) that,

    1. The universe is friendly
    2. Her mission demonstrates that all are children of God (family.)
    3. That getting to know and love even one more person each day, and in a new way, is truly spiritualizing our personality.
    4. She has never been more secure than the moment she took her first step on the pilgrimmage and headed out.

    --Bro. J

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, so true... the Universe is a friendly place. Even in all circumstances we can make friends and be kind to our brothers and sisters. We're all in this together. God is love and the most fitting expression of God in our lives is through the personal demonstration of actions based in love, rather than actions based in fear.

    Loving you, Brother J!
    Starlyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hats off to you Starlyn,
    You have made it to Riverside and I am so glad you reached a major destination. Look forward to hearing about your adventures every day and I am so proud of you!
    Love,
    B

    ReplyDelete